The Milligan-Manby family have farmed at Thorganby for four generations, starting as a tenant of the Brocklesby Estate. Originally there were two farms, Thorganby Hall Farm and the White Hart Public House Farm.
Thorganby Hall was attacked by local Roundheads during the Civil War. A steward, Vincent Holmes was killed in the attack. The owner William Caldwell (and his wife voluntarily) were imprisoned in Lincoln Jail. They both died soon after from their privations. Their son Lawrence mortgaged the Hall and land to two different people who then fought a court case to establish the chief mortgagor. Sir Stephen Rothwell secured the estate and left it to his niece who married into the Middleton family.
After operating as an outpost, possibly hunting lodge on the Middleton estate it was purchased by Brocklesby in 1805. Before William Nainby-Manby arrived in 1874 it was let to an assortment of different people, amongst whom the wonderfully named Theophilus Harneiss!
Marris Barn was originally part of the White Hart Public House farm buildings. George Brown succeeded his father as a publican and then just farmed. He lived at what is now called Marris House opposite until the 1880’s. The Marris family moved in until the 1920’s, although the land was by now amalgamated with Thorganby Hall. At some stage, the house was also used as an estate office and known as The Poplars.
The fields that run up from Marris Barn through the Park are shown in the 1843 Tithe Map as arable. The cattle seen in the Park will be mainly Limousin, but you may also see a few Lincoln Reds, the native breed. The McTurk herd is the only herd remaining from the original Herd Book.
Apart from the suckler cows, Thorganby Hall Farm is farmed by Manby Farms Limited in conjunction with land at Wykeham, Girsby, and Calcethorpe and grows spring barley for malting, vining peas, winter wheat and oil seed rape.